It was during the Pombal period, more precisely with the post earthquake reconstruction
1755, which was taken up the habit of "putting on" the streets with cobblestones.
The first Portuguese Causeway was born only in 1842 and was sent to by Eusebius Furtado, an engineer who was both general and lieutenant governor of the castle of weapons of St. George, Lisbon. The work was done by prisoners who paved the stop, until then dirt with white limestone rocks and black basalt to form a zigzag.
The result was so surprisingly, that second report chroniclers of the time, people moved purposefully to the Castle to see the Walk.
After this success, Eusebius Furtado was asked to pave the Rossio, a task he undertook once again with the "shackles", name that gave the Alfacinhas prisioneiros.O adopted design for the brow followed a pattern of wavy lists that became known as "March off. "
Today, the Portuguese Walk is part of the brand image of our country and is one of the charms of our cities.